Responsive web design represents the simplest way to reach multiple users across different platforms while ensuring a seamless user experience. Through responsive web design a site is created that will react to a user’s screen whether it is a giant desktop monitor or the 4.5 inches screen of an Android phone. However, the creation of responsive web design is not easy and it requires the help of tools in the form of scripts to make the process of development a lot easier.
Tools used in responsive web design
- FitText – makes the sizes of fonts flexible. This plugin is extensively used in fluid or responsive layouts so as to achieve scalable headlines that can fill the width of a parent element.
- Respond – is a fast and lightweight polyfill for min/max-width CSS3 media queries (for IE 6-8 and more). It enables responsive web design in browsers that do not support CSS3 media queries.
- Adobe Device Central CS5.5 – is software that will simplify the production of innovative and compelling content for mobile phones, tablet computers and other consumer electronic devices
- Golden Grid System – splits the screen in 18 even columns with the leftmost and rightmost columns used as outer margins and the 16 remaining columns allowed for design. The 16 columns can be folded into 8 columns for tablet screens or into 4 columns for mobile screens. This way, the system covers any screen size from 240 up to 2560 pixels.
- Skeleton – is a small collection of CSS and JS files that will help a web developer in rapidly developing sites that will look beautiful in any screen size whether on the screen of a laptop or an iPhone6.
It is important to consider responsive web design that will remove the barriers of having different versions of your website – one for mobile and another for the desktop. Consistent user experience will have a positive impact in your conversion rates because they can easily access your site using multiple devices. You only need to manage one website with a single set of hypertext links to reduce the time spent on monitoring. Even your SEO efforts will be focused on one site alone.